Prof. Lixin Zhang, Ph.D.
- Director, State Key Laboratory of Bioreactor Engineering,
- Deputy Dean, School of Biotechnology,
- East China University of Science and Technology,
- Room 18-201, 130 Meilong Rd, Shanghai, 200237, China
- Tel/Fax: CN +86-021-64252575 (Office) +86-021-64253020 (lab)
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Editor-in-Chief, Synthetic and Systems Biotechnology
- Associate Editor-in-Chief, Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology
- Associate Editor-in-Chief, Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology
- First Ambassador of Federation of European Microbiological Societies in China
- Co-founder & Former-President, International Chemical Biology Society
- Former-Ambassador of American Society for Microbiology in China
- ORCID: 0000-0003-0894-9520
Nature Paper from IMCAS Scientists proposed a Novel Biosynthetic Mechanism of Endoporoxide Formation in Artemisinin through a Fungal Metabolite Analogue.
- Translate Microbial Natural Products into drugs for life-threatening diseases. Our research is focused on:
- 1. Diversifying marine microbial natural product strains and extract libraries, while decreasing genetic and chemical redundancy.
- 2. Screening for synergistic medicines in a high throughput manner.
- 3. Increasing the production of drugable secondary metabolites from microbial producers by genetic engineering.
Prof. Lixin Zhang is Director of State Key Laboratory of Bioreactor Engineering, School of Biotechnology, East China University of Science and Technology. He is Chief Scientist of a “973 Program” and an Awardee of the National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars, China. Before joining IMCAS in 2006, Prof. Zhang worked in 3 pharmaceutical companies in USA: SynerZ, Cetek and Microbia, Inc. He received his Ph. D degree in Institute of Applied Ecology, CAS and did his postdoc at Emory University, USA. He has published seven books, more than 200 papers (in Nature, etc) and holds 28 Chinese patents and 16 PCT patents. He co-edited a book with Prof. Arnold Demain, member of American Academy of Sciences on natural products in 2005 by Humana Press. He served as the President of the International Chemical Biology Society (ICBS) during 2016-2018. He became the president of SLAS Asia Regional Board, Society for Laboratory Automation and Screening in early 2015. He was recognized as an Honorary lifetime member, Sino-American Pharmaceutical Professional Association (SAPA). He has been appointed as an Editor-in-Chief for “Synthetic and Systems Biotechnology”, Associate Editor-in-Chief for Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, and on the editorial board of 6 other peer-reviewed journals. He also served as an Executive Board Member of International Committee on the Biology of Actinomycetes (ISBA) and the GIM (Genetics of Industrial Microorganisms).The long-term goal of the research is to discover and develop synergistic medicines from marine microbial natural products and increase their outputs through synthetic biology approaches.His Avermectin project won Award for “Excellence to improve science and technologies” and the paper was published in PNAS and etc.